Kaluk: The Gem of the Foothills offering excellent Kunchenjungha view
Located at the foothills of Himalayas, only 2kms from Rinchenpong, Kaluk is a quaint little village where you will find tranquillity amidst nature which will refresh your mind.
Located at a height of 5600m, Kaluk offers a breathtaking view of the mighty Mount Kanchenjunga. The worldwide famous Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary is located in Kaluk and it serves as the buffer zone region of the sanctuary. Not very far from Rinchenpong- Kaluk is gaining immense popularity amongst tourists and visitors visiting Sikkim. The surrounding villages of Kaluk are inhabited by Lepchas, Rais, Gurungs and many other communities who are more than successful in preserving their natural resources, tradition, culture, and lifestyle- inhabiting coherently.
The scenic beauty of Kaluk is pictorial and seems like coming straight out of a postcard. Nature has showered its abundant blessing on this village. However, this place is not only enriched in terms of natural beauty but is also enriched culturally as well as historically.
How to Reach Kaluk:
Kaluk is easily accessible for tourists to visit.
By Air: If you are thinking of traveling via air, the nearest airport is Bagdogra. From Bagdogra, all you have to do is hire a cab and go to Kaluk which takes about a journey time of four and a half hours and the distance is approximately 125kms.
By Train: Similarly, if you prefer to travel by rail, then you have to travel to NJP station from where you take a cab and go to Kaluk. From NJP the travel distance is approximately 121kms and hence will take a travel time of four and a half hours.
By Road: Hiring cabs or renting cars from NJP or Bagdogra is very easy. The car service offered by North Bengal Tourism is reasonable and is very convenient. From both NJP and Bagdogra it takes nearly 4hour 15min to reach Kaluk via NH10
How to Reach Kaluk from Darjeeling: You can easily cover Kaluk along with your Darjeeling trip as it is just 2 hour and 35mins drive from Darjeeling. You can cover the distance via Darjeeling – Jorethang Rd and Nanda Kumar Gurung Soreng – Kaluk Rd (57 km)
How to Reach Kaluk from Pelling: Pelling is another extremely popular tourist spot of West Sikkim that you can easily include along with Kaluk in a long weekend or vacation trip. Kaluk is just 1 h 42 min (42.9 km) far from Pelling which can be traversed via Pelling – Dentam Rd OR, via Pelling – Sakyong – Gyalshing Rd and NH510 in the same time with distance being 36 km.
Kaluk Temperature and Weather:
West Sikkim Kaluk has very pleasant weather in summer its temperature is nearly 10-15 degree lesser than Kolkata. You can visit the place any time of the year depending on your taste. If chilly winter allures you come to Kaluk the clear sky will offer you a scintillating view of the snow-covered peaks. However, it is advisable not to visit during the monsoon season due to poor road conditions. July to September is the monsoon season and the skies are covered with rain-bearing clouds, which may obstruct your view of the magical snow-capped Kunchenjungha.
Best Time to Visit:
April to June is the best time for a visit. The Rhododendrons in the Varsity Sanctuary is in full bloom during this time. The skies are clear and you are sure not to miss the view of the mountains.
October to March, the temperature is usually on the lower side. But this is the best time to visit for bird lovers and trekkers.
The most popular places visited by tourists in Kaluk West Sikkim are:
• Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary: Covering an area of 104sq.kms, this faunal sanctuary lies on the borders of Nepal on the west and West Bengal to the south and across the Rambong Khola Stream.
• Rabdentse: The capital city of the once-ruling Yuksam Dynasty and the Chogyal Dynasty. Today, the city stands in ruins but it continues to live its glorious history.
• Lepcha Heritage House: A historic building built back in the 1860s for accommodating the British Governor. The intricate designing and the beautiful decoration of the house will take you back in time.
• Peymayangtse Monastery: This monastery is the second oldest monastery in the world built back in the 17th Century. This was built in the memory of Guru Padmasambhava who was the very first guru to preach Buddhism in Sikkim.
• Changey Falls: Watching gushes of water falling from a lofty height will soothe your mind. It is only 30kms away from the central part of Kaluk.
• Singshore Bridge: A man-made hanging bridge in Sikkim which is the highest bridge here and the second-highest in Asia.
• Rinchenpong Dak Bungalow: The famous poet Rabindra Nath Tagore is believed to have visited and stayed at Dak Bungalow when he came to Darjeeling. The local people of Rinchenpong have named ‘Tagore Smriti Van’ one of the Smriti vans in memory of the poet. A small beautiful lake is present near Dak Bungalow
• Srebaadam Monastery: The monastery is located in the green serenity of a village, mostly inhabited by Bhutia tribe of Sikkim. It takes ten-minute trekking to reach the village from Srebaadam Bazaar.
Kaluk Hotels and Stays:
Kaluk has gained popularity amongst tourists over the years. Hence, hotels and accommodations in this village- in and around is not at all a problem. Rinchenpong, which is a stone’s throw distance from Kaluk, has a number of budget accommodations along with the luxurious ones. Kaluk too has accommodation facilities. However, Kaluk hotels will offer you more luxury since people come here to relax and enjoy nature.
Nomadic Find Resort:
Our beautiful find in the quaint hamlet of Kaluk is a village resort bordered by monumental monasteries and the majestic Kanchenjunga. The tranquillity and serenity surrounding the resort will refresh and rejuvenate your soul and keep you craving for more. The beautiful view of the Kanchenjunga is magnificent.
In Kaluk Village Resort you will get a top-notch facility along with tasty delicious, local, organic food. Television, Wi-Fi, hot boilers, laundry, room heaters, hot and cold beverages, 24 hours room service- you name it and they will provide you with all the amenities. And to top it all, they can even arrange for local cultural programs right inside the resort premises.
The rooms here are luxurious and extravagant. Every room has a wonderful overlooking view of the mountains. You can select and choose from a variety of rooms as per your needs and requirements. However, they charge a minimum amount in case you require room heaters and the accommodation in each room is of 2 persons. The room rates are reasonable considering the amenities they provide and the overall maintenance of the entire property and the rooms.
Kaluk Outdoor Activities :
• Visit Rinchenpong Village: The popular Rinchenpong Village is just a walking distance. Here you can visit the Rinchenpong Dak Bungalow. This Dak Bungalow was Tagore’s residence whenever he visited the foothills. The local people even named it “Tagore’s Smriti Van” after the famous Poet.
The Rinchenpong Monastery is also a popular tourist spot. It is the third oldest monastery in Sikkim and belongs to the Nyingma sect of Tantrik Buddhism.
• Monastery Visits: There are a number of monasteries in and around Kaluk which are quite popular amongst tourists- like the Srebaddam Monastery, the Resum Monastery, and the Peymayangtse Monastery.
• Nature Exploration: Nature is bountiful in this part of the world. You will find a huge diversity in the flora and fauna of this area. Walking through the Alpine Forests and watching the beautiful
(migratory) birds will give you chills.
• Adventure Sports: Kaluk gives you the opportunity to engage yourself in a number of adventure sports, like trekking, mountaineering, yak safari and even river rafting on Teesta River.
• View the Mount: Kaluk is known for its 180 degrees view of the Kanchenjunga and the neighboring peaks. The experience of watching sunrise and sunset is absolutely surreal.
• Shopping: If you would like to take back some trinkets for yourself and your loved ones, you can also visit the local markets. This is a haven for shoppers selling imported Chinese goods.
Relax your mind and your soul and bring out the nomadic in you. This quaint little village should be your next visit, right away!
Price of Kaluk Village Resort
Suite Cottage: INR 4500 + 5%GST
Super Deluxe: INR 3300 + 5%GST
Kanchendzonga: INR 4000 + 5%GST
Family Room: INR 4000 + 5%GST
Deluxe Room: INR 2500 + 5%GST
Junior Family Room: INR 3300 + 5%GST
We’re ready to help you with planning your weekend.Enquire Now.
You may be also interested in these great hill stations near Kolkata for an offbeat getaway