Neora Valley Jungle Camp | Best Place to Stay in Kolakham
Neora Valley Jungle Camp is an unexplored piece of heaven tucked in the mountains of the Kalimpong District of West Bengal and is contiguous with the forest of Sikkim and Bhutan. The Neora Valley National Park spread over 160km2 is the land of red pandas. You will be amused to know that this bushy red-tailed animal inspired the name Firefox.
Neora Valley has revealed itself gradually over the years through the bird-lovers and the adventure seekers. The beauty and the tranquillity of the park and the surrounding village are intoxicating with their dense pine forest and breathtaking view of the mount Kunchenjungha.
Accommodations in Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
We always look for those ‘once in a lifetime experiences’ when we are on a vacation, isn’t it? And a good place to stay makes it even more worth remembering. Well, here we are bringing to you one such rounded experience. Nestled in the lap of the mountains is our find in Kolakham. It is a pinewood made resort amidst the ethereal nature- giving you one of the best views of the Kanchenjunga Peak from Kolakham.
What’s Special In Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
The place is more than perfect. You can enjoy something that has never happened to you. A butterfly and a furry cute dog will welcome you. As you enter the room you will be awestruck with its view. You can view Kunchenjungha with flavored Darjeeling tea served in Darjeeling tea style. Every morning a lady of the village will clean your room and don’t forget to keep behind a bunch of fresh orchid in small vases. The moving shadow of the branches on the glass rooftop, chirping of unseen colorful birds in the morning a small cozy library will steal your heart away.
They have a provision of tastefully furnished 3 four-bedded attics, 1 honeymoon cottage accommodating two people and two cozy yet comfortable Swiss tents- as per your requirements.
Outdoor Activities in Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
If you are just planning to visit Kolakham and wondering what to do, then we have a number of activities planned for you.
- Bird-Watching: Kolakham is a bird-watcher’s paradise. The Neora Valley Forest makes this village home to rare species of birds!
- Relax: Visit Kolakham to soothe your soul and rejuvenate your mind by being amidst nature.
- Trekking: If you are the adventurous kind, you can trek through the forest trails of Kolakham and can even chance upon having an encounter with the variety of wildlife found here.
- Rock climbing: Rock-climbing is another very sought after attraction of Kolakham.
- Rope-Traversing: If you are looking for some instant adrenaline rush, rope-traversing is a must do activity for you in Kolakham.
Nearby Attractions in Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
- Neora Valley Forest: Neora Valley Forest lies on the fringes of Kolakham which is known for being the abode of a wide variety of wildlife and birds and rare species of Wild Orchids. The most found animal of the park is Himalayan Tahr, Black Bear, Sambar, Barking Deer, Goral, Tiger, Leopard, Chinese Marmorata Pangolin, Malayan Giant Squirrel, Wild Boar, Wild Dog, Clouded Leopard, etc. This Forest makes itself rich in biodiversity because of the watershed of the Neora River along with its tributaries. A safari trip through the deep forest trails will make your stay at Kolakham a lifetime memorable experience.
- Red Panda: The Neora Valley Forest is the home to The Red Panda also known as the Red Cat Bear. The unexplored rugged hilly terrains of the Valley provide them with natural habitat for the peaceful existence. The presence of the Red Panda provides this Sub-Himalayan region with a significant mention in the Red Data Book of the IUCN and in the appendices of CITES.
- Changey Falls: Kolakham will be left unexplored by you if you do not visit the Changi Falls otherwise known as the Changey Falls. It is known for being the only fall which is accessible by tourists. The Changey falls is just a 3kms jeep ride and 1.5kms walk down deep into the Hills of Darjeeling with comfortable rest huts and well-built staircases on the way.
- Rishyap, Pedong, Rikisum, SilleryGaon: These are small quaint villages around Kolakham, each having their own unique charm.
- Zuluk and Silk Route: Yet another quaint and unexplored village in the mountains in Kolakham.
Weather and Best Time To Visit Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
The weather in Kolakham is cool and pleasant throughout the year, like any other mountainous region. However, the winters are chilly. The best time is to visit during the summers, to escape the heat of the plains and from October to January when the sky remains clean to view Kunchenjungha. Monsoons are rainy with hectic roads and the park remains closed. The park is open to tourists from 16th September to 15th June. The park remains closed for 3 months during monsoon.
How to Reach Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
Neora Valley Jungle Camp is nearly 99kms from NJP via Rishi Road you can also take NH17 to reach the place. The time consumed will be almost 3hr 10mins to reach the camp. So the best way to reach is to take a flight and arrive at Bagdogra or take a train to New Jalpaiguri. From NJP station or Bagdogra airport hire a shared cab or a private car and reach Neora Valley Jungle camp.
Price of Neora Valley Jungle Camp:
Double Cottages (Shama, Kalij, Monal): INR 6350 + 5% GST per day for the couple including all meals
Attic Cottages (Shikra, Besra): INR 7500 + 5% GST per day for couple including all meals
Attic Cottage (Niltava): INR 8600 + 5% GST per day for the couple including all meals
** Please note for single person stay price will remain the same as per the hotels own policy.
*Cost of Extra Person in any room: INR 1500/-
*Cost of Extra Meal: INR 450/- per person per meal
Complimentary for children below 6 years.
We’re ready to help you with planning your weekend. Enquire Now.
Click here to know 25 such great weekend destinations near Kolkata
In case you love hills, see these great hill stations near Kolkata for an offbeat getaway