Heritage and cultural resort close to nature with traditional Sikkimese experience near Gangtok.
A vacation free from noise and pollution, natural beauty in abundance and destinations to explore, must have been always in your priority check list and bonus points if it is a offbeat location free from the crowded and over hyped hill stations. If you are a person of such wanderlust, we have got you covered. Tucked in the Mountain lap, Martam is a serene hamlet in east Sikkim, an hour way from Gangtok. ‘Martam’ basically means ‘The land of butter’, also ‘The lap of God’, not only boasts of scenic treasures but also historical significance. It is considered to be the battle ground of the locals and Bhutanese army.
Amalgamating modern with tradition, the resort has 13 spectacular cottages, which are made up of stone, wood or bamboo with polished wooden floors and traditionally hand-woven rugs which can accommodate up to 30 people.The cottages come in queen and twin sleep options. The property also boasts of swimming pool, spa and yoga rooms.
Check in: 12:00 PM
Check out: 11:00 AM
- The village is perfect for the avid bird watchers. On prior notice the property arranges trained guides to make your bird/butterfly watching activities memorial.
- You can explore the surrounding rural areas, just by hiring a mountain bike.
- Indulge in a day-trek to Jho ratay through the Fambong Lho Wild Life Sanctuary.
- Enjoy the nature walks through the forests and explore local culture.
- Rejuvenate your body and soul with the Yoga session under property’s trained Yoga instructor either in their Yoga room or in the outdoor lawn.
- Learn to make those Sikkimese dimsums/momos under professional guidance. Also the local alcoholic drink ‘chang’ – a fermented millet beer served in traditional bamboo, is a experience to cherish.
- The property has a massive organic garden where you can pick up farm products like nettle broth, fiddle head ferns, tender bamboo shoots, wild mushrooms etc and cook yourself under chef’s guidance.
- Enjoy the Sikkimese hospitality through the various folk dance and songs by the locals at the property’s own compound.
- Visit Rumtek Monastery, founded by the Sixteenth Gyalwa Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpe Dorje, as his seat-in-exile outside Tibet.
- Visit the Indo-Tibet Border covering Nathula and Changu Lake, which is almost 150 kms to and fro.
- Explore the famous Temi tea garden, about 1.45 hours away from the Resort.
- Visit the Srijunga Waterfalls, an hour trek from Bermiok bazaar.
- Visit Gangtok at 45 minutes drive from resort and do the local sightseeing like the Sikkim Research Institute of Tibetology.
- Explore Deer Park, Enchey Monastery, Ridge Park, Tashi view point, Hanuman Tok, Ganesh Tok and Himalayan Zoological Park.
Best Time to Visit
This place can be visited any time of the year. The best time can be between November to February, when you can see the Mighty Kanchenjunga ranges clearly. Although January here is the coldest month when this place gets temperature as low as -17 Degree C.
How To Reach
Martam is easy accessible from Siliguri or Kolkata. One can reach Martam via Rail, Road or Air.
By Air: Pakyong Airport is the newly opened Airport in Sikkim, which is 25.7 kms can take up to 2.5hrs to from the village.
By Rail: NJP station, Siliguri (100 kms)
By Road: Martam is 158 kms from Siliguri. Buses are available for this route.
INR 4000 + 5% GST for cottages including breakfast.
Child below 4 years no charge
Child from 4-10 years- half price
Child above 10 years- Full charge/Extra person
The Resort organizes sightseeing according to your schedule (if any), and that is to be finalized directly with the person in charge, prior to your travel.