Lose yourself in the magnificence of blooming orchids and azaleas along with the pleasant ambiance of this British Royal Bungalow-Takdah which is located amidst the gorgeous yet peaceful environment of Takdah. This beautiful 125 old British Royal Bungalow in Takdah offers unmatched luxury and comfort along with great views and delicious food. Perched on the misty surrounding of Takdah offers you the best way of soaking into the pristine environment making you one with nature. Rest your tired souls in the cozy ambiance of this British Colonial Bungalow after a brisk trek through tall pine and cedar forests or after a tour of the lush, rolling tea gardens. Sip on a cup of hot freshly brewed tea from the neighboring gardens as you admire the beauty of blooming orchids and azaleas, while the mighty Kanchenjunga stands majestically in the horizon. Enjoy your holiday or a weekend trip in this old British Cantonment.
Place Code: BE1771.
Check in: 12:00pm
Check out: 11:00am
Outdoor activities can be of many types:
- Hiking through the tall pine and cedar forests or just enjoying the serene beauty of the mountains,
- Spending romantic times at Lovers Point,
- Paying a visit to the Orchid center for some delicate Orchids
Few of the striking locations which encircle this unique place are:
- Rungli Rungliot Tea Garden- Some of the finest tea gardens of Darjeeling district are located in Takdah. You can walk down or take a local taxi tour to some of them and enjoy the tea gardens on rolling hills. The main tea estates in Takdah are Rungli Rungliot, Gielle, Namring, Jinglam, Poomong, and Teesta Valley estate. You can also visit the estate factories and watch the tea processing (in winters the factories usually remain closed).
- Takdah Block- Further down from Rungli Rungliot you will reach the Gielle Bhanjyang Bazaar, also known as Gandhi Chowk. Once there used to be a statue of Mahatma Gandhi here, but no longer so. This is the border point of Jinglam Tea Estate and Gielle Tea Estate.
- Takdah Monastery- here is a small monastery in Takdah whose actual name is Dechhen Pema Tshoiling Monastery, but locally known as Takdah Monastery. A steep uphill boulder road after the market area leads to a steep stairway. You will need to climb several flights of stairs to reach up to the Monastery. But once there, the views are awesome. From here you can get a sweeping view of Rungli Rungliot Tea Gardens, Teesta Valley Tea Estate, and Durpin Dara View Point, Kalimpong etc. I had taken the first picture of Rungli Runliot Tea Garden on this page from the monastery premises (near the entrance).
- Visit Tinchuley another lovely hamlet about 3kms away from Takdah and famous for its lovely views of Himalayan range including the snow peaks of Kanchenjunga and spectacular sunrise views.
- Lamahatta Village with its magnificent gardens and views of Kanchenjunga is about 12kms from Takdah (40 minutes).
- Another nearby place is Mongpu where you can visit the orchid nurseries, the famous museum of poet Rabindranath Tagore, and see the vast Cinchona plantations.
- Visit the lovely orange orchards located in Bara and Chota Mangwa (both about 12kms from Takdah). The small factories here produce fresh orange juice and you can buy a few bottles of them. Tastes delicious and absolutely fresh.
- A great place to visit by car is Triveni- the confluence of rivers Teesta & Rangeet.
Best time to Visit
October to March is the best time to visit Takdah and the nearby areas. This is the time the sky remains clear and you can enjoy the chill of the winter. But also in the rest of the months, Takdah is beautiful with the touch of the summer sun.
How to reach
It takes about 2.5-3 hours to reach Takdah by car from NJP or Bagdogra. Other transport includes share cab rides and bus rides from either NJP or Bagdogra.
Only Rs. 1750 + 5% GST /head/ day. Price includes all meals (Bed tea, Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Snacks, and Dinner) for Standard rooms and Rs. 2450 + 5% GST for luxury suits.
Kids between 1 to 5 years are complimentary
Kids between 6 to 9 years will be charged at half price
Kids from 10 years will be charged as an adult